IDEAS SOLVING SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC CHALLENGES (ISSEC)
The Ideas Solving Social and Economic Challenges (ISSEC) is a competition to reward IUPUI students for their innovative ideas to solve social and economic challenges facing the nation and the world. The emphasis of the competition is on providing answers to real-world problems, through new approaches, products, services, or ventures. ISSEC challenges IUPUI students--individuals or teams--to propose original solutions to pressing social and economic challenges. One member of each team will have three minutes to present to judges their concept or solution. The time constraint of this “elevator pitch” format challenges the competitors to present themselves, and their idea, in a concise and persuasive manner.
ISSEC is open to all IUPUI students (i.e. undergraduate, graduate, and professional), who are currently enrolled and in good standing. Ideas presented can be in any stage of development, but must be “pre-revenue” ideas. Presentations must be conducted without visual aids. The pitch will be judged by local experts and professionals, who will look for the student’s ability to convey clearly an idea and the value proposition represented in a professional manner.
Prizes for Top Ideas!
1st Place: $2,500
2nd Place: $1,500
3rd Place: $500
PLUS: $1000 AWARD FOR “AUDIENCE CHOICE”
- NO PROPS!
- NO SLIDES!!
- JUST THREE MINUTES…TO CONVINCE THE JUDGES YOUR IDEA IS THE BIGGEST AND BEST!
The entry period for students is now open for the 2014 ISSEC competition. Please click on the ISSEC Entry tab above, or use the following link to begin your entry, and to register for one of the entry preparation workshops (Note: you will need to login in using your IUPUI career account credentials):
Goals and Objectives
ISSEC seeks to encourage entrepreneurially-oriented students to develop their ideas and present them in a persuasive manner. As part of this, the competition intends to provide students with a forum to develop skills in pitching their ideas to potential investors and partners, in order to receive constructive feedback that will increase the probability of future success. Students who participate will have the opportunity to learn how to:
- Create a compelling idea, for a new approach, product, service, or venture
- Present an idea to others, clearly and concisely, in a three-minute “elevator” pitch format (an oral presentation without the formal structure or support of presentation aids, in approximately the time it takes to share an elevator ride)
- Present themselves and their ideas in concise and effective manner, conveying a sense of passion and a commitment to making a difference in the world
- Capture and retain the attention of possible sponsors, investors, or other potential supporters
IUPUI Ideas Solving Social and Economic Challenges—ISSEC Student Idea Pitch Competition
IUPUI Campus Center Theater, 3:30 pm to 6:00pm, Thursday March 6th 2014
REGISTER TO ATTEND THE COMPETITION AS PART OF THE AUDIENCE!
Questions can be directed to Karen White at firstname.lastname@example.org or (317) 274-1083.